CSCI 495: Undergraduate Consulting
Hunter Lloyd, EPS 354.
Phone: (406) 994-5959 (My Office), 994- 4780 (Main CS Office).
Each week you should
- Take a look at the material in advance and make sure that you understand
it well enough to help students effectively.
- Be present for the entire 2 hour block of your assignment.
- Send an e-mail report to Hunter
with copies going to the instructor
of the course and the lab TA. The report is due no later than Friday at
midnight following your two hour consulting block. The email subject
line should state the course and date of the lab. The report itself should
of the following one paragraph sections:
- Section I. What students understood.
- Section II. What students didn't understand.
- Section III. How the assignment that you helped out with might be
- Section IV. What you personally learned with respect to one or more of
the course outcomes listed in the next section. Try to write about different
outcomes from week to week.
At the end of the semester, your skill ability in the following areas should
- The ability to apply your knowledge of computer science.
- The ability to help other people design solutions to problems.
- The ability to help other people implement designs.
- The ability to help other people debug programs.
- The ability to help other people to design and conduct experiments, as
well as to analyze and interpret data.
- A better understanding of professional responsibilities, from the
standpoint of an expert relating to a novice.
- The ability to communicate effectively.
- The recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life-long
- 70% - The quality of the weekly reports. Each weekly report is worth 8
points. For each of the four paragraphs, you will receive 2 points if the
section is well done, 1 point if it is OK, and 0 points otherwise. Remember to
use good writing skills! Remember that these reports are due by Friday at
midnight following your consulting duties. For every 24 hours that the report
is late, it will lose 2 points.
- 20% - A hardcopy of a 2-3 page, typed paper (no electronic submissions
please!) that is due to Hunter Lloyd no later than Friday, April 13th
The paper is
- 10% - Evaluation by the TA in the lab. The TA will provide a rating and a
written explanation to the CSCI 495 course instructor for each of the following four
- Whether you arrive promptly and stay until the end of lab
- Your ability to answer questions
- Your ability to communicate clearly
- Your ability to treat students professionally
- Special - Each consulting duty that is missed without permission or
without making arrangements for someone to replace you in advance will
drop your final grade a full letter grade. For example, if you forget to
attend one lab, a B+ would become a C+.
At the end of the semester, your final grade will be determined based on the
percentage of points you have earned:
- [95 - 100]: A
- [90 - 95): A-
- [87 - 90): B+
- [83 - 87): B
- [80 - 83): B-
- [77 - 80): C+
- [73 - 77): C
- [70 - 73): C-
- [67 - 70): D+
- [63 - 67): D
- [60 - 63): D-
- [0 - 60): F
Fall, Spring. 1 credit recitation.
Last modified: January 11, 2012.
Prerequisite: Junior standing and CSCI
Directed assistance to, and involvement in labs, with lower division CS
students. Can only complete once.