oSTEM at Montana State University Student Club
2019 oSTEM Conference
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
is a national organization dedicated to educating and fostering leadership
for LGBTQA+ communities in the STEM fields.
- MSU's local chapter is
oSTEM at Montana State University.
For more information, e-mail
Monika at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 2019 national conference takes place in Detroit from Thursday, November 14th to
Sunday, November 17th.
- 11/14 Flight from Bozeman: 8:22 a.m. - 3:53 p.m.
- 11/14 Dinner: Pegasus Taverna, 558 Monroe Street
- 11/14 Hotel: Holiday Inn & Express, 1020 Washington Blvd
- 11/15 and 11/16 Hotel: Detroit Marriott at Renaissance Center
- 11/17 Flight from Detroit: 6:00 p.m. - 8:50 p.m.
Final Planning Meeting - To Be Determined
- 11/14: Need to determine who can drive others to the airport.
- Hotels: Need to determine hotel roommates
- GroupMe App: Need to determine who will set this up
Next Steps for Participants
- Register for the oSTEM conference, using the registration code
that you were e-mailed on 9/27.
- Attend the 10/2 oSTEM meeting at 5:00 p.m. in Barnard 347
to sign a university travel document.
- Submit the Participant Travel Form located
no later than 11/4.
If you would like to attend the oSTEM conference,
e-mail the following information to John Paxton
(john DOT paxton AT montana DOT edu) no later than
Friday, September 13th.
Last year, 16 students were sponsored!
- What is your experience with the LGBT+ community?
- A brief overview of what MSU could do
better with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Answer the relevant prompt:
2019 First-Time Conference Attendee:
A brief overview of how attending the conference might be beneficial.
2019 Experienced Conference Attendee:
(a) A brief overview of the personal and professional
benefits you received by attending the conference and
(b) a brief overview of additional personal and professional benefits
that you would receive by attending again.
- Optional: If you have a resume, attach it to your
application in pdf format. The resume will help prepare
you for the oSTEM Career Fair that takes place at the conference.
- Optional: Is there anything else you wish to mention?
- Feel free to drop by John's office in Barnard Hall 353 or
send an e-mail (john DOT paxton AT montana DOT edu).
Because this is a university sponsored trip, you have permission to
miss classes on Thursday and Friday.
- Our goal is to sponsor as many LGBTQ+ STEM students as possible
to attend the conference. Sponsorship includes airfare, a shared hotel
room and conference registration.
- The following units sponsored students to attend
the 2018 national conference:
- The Norm Asbjornson College of Engineering
- Chemical & Biological Engineering Department
- Civil Engineering Department
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
- Gianforte School of Computing
- Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Department
- The College of Letters and Science
- Chemistry and Biochemistry Department
- Ecology Department
- Mathematical Sciences Department
- The College of Agriculture
- Plant Sciences & Plant Pathology Department
Previous Conference Photos