The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree is generally intended for students who have a B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science and who want to pursue a research and/or college-level teaching career. The program leading to the Ph.D. degree in Computer Science is rigorous and requires coursework, research, exams, and the writing of a dissertation. These Computing Research Association videos provide a few reasons why students undertake a Ph.D. in Computer Science.
To help you to understand the requirements for the Ph.D. degree it is important to understand how the Ph.D. program is administered by the University. Since the Ph.D. degree is a graduate degree, it is ultimately managed by The Graduate School at MSU. Therefore, to earn a Ph.D. degree, a student must satisfy the requirements of
A Computer Science Ph.D. prepares you for both positions in industry and academia. To give you a better idea of what is possible, the following list shows what some of our Ph.D. graduates are doing as of Fall Semester 2016.
- Juan Banda, Research Scientist at Stanford University Center for Biomedical Informatics Research
- Debzani Deb, Assistant Professor at Winston-Salem State University
- Patrick Donnelly, Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Notre Dame
- Nathan Fortier, Senior Software Engineer at Golden Helix Inc.
- Mohammad Fuad, Associate Professor at Winston-Salem State University
- Lou Glassy, Senior Computer Science at Novetta Solutions
- Michael Grinder, Principal Software Development Engineer in Test at Rubicon Project
- Timothy Hahn, Software Engineering Manager at Raytheon Corporation
- Brian Hay, Associate Professor at the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Minghui Jiang, Associate Professor at Utah State University
- Ivan Judson, Senior Software Engineer at Microsoft
- Karthik Ganesan Pillai, Data Scientist and Senior Software Engineer at Cerner Corporation
- Thiruvarangan Ramaraj, Bioinformatics Research Scientist at National Center for Genome Resources (NCGR)
- Neal Richter, CTO at Rubicon Project
- Michael Schuh, Postdoctoral Researcher at Georgia State University
- Liessman Sturlaugson, Data Scientist at Boeing Research & Technology
- Hasari Tosun, Independent Contractor at Reliance Communications
- Shen Wan, Software Engineer at Google
- Tim Wiley, Assistant Professor at University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley